Fall usually brings a slow-down to the window cleaning business, but there are ways to increase your profit before the snow starts flying. Add-on services provide added value to your customers and greater profit to you, the window cleaner. Over the next few posts, I will be touching on some of these add-on services.
This week, we’ll discuss gutter cleaning.
Why Clean Gutters?
Gutters are a necessity for the proper drainage of rain water. Their purpose is to keep water from gathering around the foundation of the house. Rain water gathering at the foundation can cause serious structural damage.
A clogged gutter drops water wherever it can most easily go, instead of through the proper drainage path. This can also lead to damaging accumulations of icicles in the winter, which can cause further damage to gutters.
Clean gutters have a number of benefits:
- Better drainage
- Better looks
- Zero property damage
Gutters collect all manner of debris – leaves, moss, and other plant life, as well as birds that may nest in this plant material and cause an even bigger mess. This debris is easy to remove with the correct tools, which makes gutter cleaning a great add-on service for window cleaners.
Problems to Keep in Mind
One potential problem to keep in mind when cleaning gutters is severely neglected and damaged gutters. Some gutters may be beyond the help of cleaning.
Beware of gutters that are bent or pulling away from the roof because of neglect. Long periods of being clogged can cause unnecessary weight on the gutter, causing it to sag and pull away from the roof. These gutters may break away causing damage and potential fall risks to cleaners.
If in doubt, decline to clean gutters that are in really poor shape.
What Products Are Available?
We have products available that work great to clean both the insides and outsides of gutters.
- Gutter Grabber – This tool works well for caked-in debris that needs to be loosened up for easier removal.
- Gutter Getter Scoop – This tool is great for removing large chunks of debris with ease. It is made of heavy duty plastic, but bends enough to fit well into gutter corners.
- Gutter Cleaner – Our most popular gutter cleaner, this tool screws onto an ACME thread for use with a pole.
- Marx-Off – Use this cleaner applicator for cleaning the sides and bottoms of gutters with ease! It works great with Gutter Zap.
- Gutter Zap – This product comes in a super concentrated liquid and works great for cleaning the outsides of gutters, soffits, and fascias.
- Gloves – We have a wide variety of waterproof gloves, particularly PVC-lined gloves, that are great for keeping your hands clean while cleaning gutters.
If you are looking to try out any of these great tools, now is the perfect time! Check out our fall specials on gutter cleaning packages. There is one package for the inside of gutters, which includes all of the inside gutter tools listed above, as well as a free pair of PVC-lined gloves. The second package makes cleaning the outside of gutters easier, including the two outside gutter products above and a free pair of PVC-lined gloves.
Check them out now to try all of the products available to make gutter cleaning an easy to add service for your window cleaning business!
Do you have additional questions about cleaning gutters and the products available? Comment below or email us from the About Page!